close hide page

Archive for the ‘General’ Category

‘She would rather die than endure female genital mutilation’: Meet the schoolgirl, 15, hiding in Manchester from the most horrific of crimes

Imagine being strapped down against your will and having your genitals removed with a shard of glass by someone with no medical expertise, in the most unhygenic of conditions.

It sounds like something out of a horror movie. Yet this is the reality faced by millions of young girls and women across the world –female genital mutilation (FGM). And now a Nigerian teenager who escaped the horrors of FGM and fled to Greater Manchester is at risk of deportation after the UK Border Agency rejected her claim for asylum last year. Manchester-based refugee and asylum organisation RAPAR are dedicated to protecting 15-year-old Olayinka against relatives in Nigeria who insist that she must endure the ‘traditional’ procedure that killed her eight-year-old sister in 1992.

After increasing pressure from her family and a failed attempt to force the procedure on Olayinka, resulting in her and her brother being savagely beaten, her mother Abiola Olaoye fled Nigeria in 2010 and currently lives safely in Rochdale with her children.

The hard work of the organisation has so far paid off and the Border Agency have agreed to let the family remain in Britain until the end of the school year, however with the deadline looming a fresh appeal has been made in the hopes that Olayinka can remain safe in Manchester.

Read more: http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/080711350-%E2%80%98she-would-rather-die-endure-female-genital-mutilation%E2%80%99-meet-schoolgirl-15-hiding-

Female genital mutilation victim was ‘aged just seven’

A girl of seven was the youngest victim of female genital mutilation (FGM) treated by the NHS in the past two years, according to new data.

Some 1,700 women and girls were treated by specialist FGM clinics but this masks a bigger problem says the NSPCC. A UK-wide helpline to protect girls at risk of ritual cutting, practised by some African, Middle Eastern and Asian communities, goes live on Monday. The victims “are hidden behind a wall of silence”, said Lisa Harker of NSPCC. The helpline is run by NSPCC child protection experts who have had training and advice from experts who work with women and girls who have undergone this form of ritual mutilation.

Extreme pain

The charity describes the practice as “illegal and life-threatening” and says that it results in extreme pain as well as physical and psychological problems that can continue into adulthood. Female genital mutilation, sometimes known as female circumcision has been illegal in the UK since 1985 – but still continues in secret, often carried out without anaesthetic. Some communities from parts of Africa and the Middle East, from both Muslim and Christian traditions, believe it is a necessary part of becoming a woman, that it reduces female sex drive and therefore the chances of sex outside marriage.

Sometimes girls are sent abroad to have it done. Sometimes it is done in the UK. It involves the partial or total removal of the female genital organs, sometimes only leaving a small hole for urination or menstruation. The NSPCC says that victims are usually aged between four and 10 but some are younger. Comfort Momoh, a midwife at Guys and St Thomas’s Hospital in London, collated the figures from the specialist clinics.

She told BBC news that many women are not identified until they become pregnant and are examined by medical staff. Others suffer recurrent urinary tract infections and abdominal pain. “Many people are not aware they have had it done as it was carried out when they were babies.”

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23001119

UN report reveals rampant trafficking of girls nicknamed Paro into Haryana for forced marriages

Chandigarh, July 10: The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes (UNODC)  in its report has chronicled rampant large-scale trafficking of girls from other states into Haryana where they are held as bonded labourers and forced into marriages. Such girls are nicknamed Paro (of Devdas fame) in the villages of Haryana, particularly in Mewat area.  The girls are forced to marry against their will and are “sold” at price that varies according to their age, beauty and virginity.
The UN report has blamed Haryana’s fast declining female sex ratio for large-scale trafficking of girls from other states. The report, “Current Status of Victim Service Providers and Criminal Justice Actors in India on Anti-Human Trafficking-2013”, states: “There’s a large-scale trafficking of girls from the North-East. These girls are being brought to Haryana for forced marriage and bonded labour.

 

Read more: http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india/un-report-reveals-rampant-trafficking-of-girls-nicknamed-paro-into-haryana-for-forced-marriages-24857.html

ETHIOPIA: Surviving forced marriage

ALEM GENA, 23 February 2007 (IRIN) – Standing at the front of her classroom, Mulu Melka reads out of her English book in a shy voice like any other 13-year-old schoolgirl; betraying nothing of the fact that twice within two years, she has been abducted and forced into marriage. A target of the traditional practice, known locally as “marriage by abduction”, Mulu managed to escape on both occasions. “The first time I was 11,” she recounts. “I was going to the mill, when a group of men grabbed me from behind. They took me by surprise. I fell on the ground, and when I woke up again I was in the house of my abductor. I stayed there three days.”

In the meantime, her parents held a meeting with the abductor’s parents, mediated by village elders. In exchange for a cow and two sheep, her parents agreed to her marriage with the abductor. But, Mulu ran away one night. “I escaped from the abductor’s house while he and his friends were drinking and dancing. I went to the toilet and then I escaped through a fence and ran away.”She then hid for nearly a year in the house of one of her uncles. “After nine months, I could not stand hiding anymore, so I decided to go back to school,” Mulu says nervously, looking at her hands.

Later, her parents received a letter from another suitor asking to marry Mulu, but she refused. The 39-year-old man turned up at the house and kidnapped her with her parents’ consent. “I managed to get my parents to agree for us to be tested for HIV. I had heard about it at school and on the radio. I was negative but my abductor was positive.”  With the test results in her hand, Mulu managed to convince her parents to cancel the wedding.

Read more: http://www.irinnews.org/report/69993/ethiopia-surviving-forced-marriage

Forced Marriages – do you know where you stand?

There are many instances where a marriage can be voidable (set aside) or ‘void’ where the marriage is treated as though it has never taken place. Examples include non-consummation of marriage, due to either inability or wilful refusal. There are other reasons relating to unawareness that the bride is already pregnant or that one party has a serious STD. More commonly, these days, it may be that one of the parties may not have the legal capacity to consent to the union or may be entering it under duress or have suffered undue influence.

The latter appears to relate to the recent case highlighted in the Daily Mail involving a sixteen year old girl who had the protection of a Court Order which banned the arrangement of her marriage. The Order was backed by a Power of Arrest. It is alleged that, in spite of the Court Order, the girl was forced to marry a man she had met only once under a threat from her father to kill her (which would apparently be explained as suicide) if she refused to comply. She is reported to have turned up at a local police station in her pyjamas on her wedding night in a distressed state.

The Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) is raising awareness about forced marriages across the public sector to professionals and lay clients alike. Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 16(2)). FMU goes on to say that No marriage shall be legally entered into without the full and free consent of both parties and a woman’s right to choose a spouse and enter freely into marriage that is central to her life and dignity and equality as a human being (Recommendation 21 Comment Article 16 (1) (b) UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women).

This unfortunate 16 year old lady is due to appear in Court where, presumably, the persons alleged to have threatened her and organised the marriage despite the Court orders and powers of arrest will have to account for their actions. Duress includes actions perpetrated against a victim for physical, psychological, sexual, financial or emotional reasons and such pressure tends to be consistent and wholly unacceptable. In 2008 over 1,600 cases in the UK were reported involving South Asian and other families. It is important to remember that many go unreported. This often starts when the victim is quite young when during school there are often prolonged absences that are not properly explained, requests for extended leave, with the victim showing anxiety as the school holidays and breaks come nearer. Often they are not allowed to join after-school activities or forge a friendship with other children or their families. This can result in self-harm, feelings of depression and isolation and can result in unreasonable restrictions at home. Incidents as being beaten by a parent for ‘looking at a boy’ can often result in confiscation of a mobile phone and being forced to go back to the originating country often to meet the prospective ‘husband’.

 

Read more:  http://www.deferolaw.com/profiles/blogs/forced-marriages-do-you-know-where-you-stand

16-year-old ‘forced to marry’ despite protection order

After her wedding reception, which was attended by between 550 and 1000 guests, the teenager went to a police station “in her pyjamas and in a distressed state”, a court heard.Her mother and aunt were subsequently arrested for allegedly breaching a forced marriage protection order which had been issued in November.They appeared at Luton County Court on Tuesday. The court heard that the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, first went to Bedfordshire Police for help in 2012.

James Weston, counsel for the force, said she told officers that her family had threatened to send her abroad to marry. She also claimed she was told that if she refused she would be “taken to Pakistan and shot, and everybody back home would be told it was suicide”. As a result, she was made the subject of a forced marriage protection order. The order, backed by the power of arrest, banned the child’s marriage without permission of the court. It also prevented her from travelling abroad and banned her mother from arranging a marriage, or enlisting the help of someone else to arrange it.

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10085245/16-year-old-forced-to-marry-despite-protection-order.html

More Afghan women jailed for ‘moral crimes’, says HRW

The number of women and girls in Afghanistan imprisoned for “moral crimes” has risen by 50% in the past 18 months, a rights group says.

Human Rights Watch says many are jailed for running away from home, often from forced marriages or domestic violence. Others are behind bars as a result of alleged adultery, in truth often involving rape, it said. The government should “get tough on abusers of women and stop blaming women who are crime victims”, said HRW.

It said 600 women and girls were now imprisoned for “moral crimes” – the highest since the US-led overthrow of the Taliban 12 years ago.

About 110 of those were girls under 18.

Virginity tests

Human Rights Watch’s alert comes just three days after angry scenes in the Afghan parliament forced a halt to a debate about reinforcing a law to prevent violence against women. The law banning violence against women, child marriages and forced marriages was passed by presidential decree in 2009, but did not gain MPs’ approval.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22614536

Tanzania: Zanzibar Community Chided for Condoning Underage Marriages

AT least 28 underage girls in West District in Unguja have been forced into marriage during the past two years, drawing criticism from women groups and activists in the Isles.

Some parents claimed that forcing girls into early marriage aimed at reducing pregnancy outside wedlock, but women groups and community leaders argue that allowing girls under 17 to get married “is morally and socially unacceptable.” Recent research findings in Bumbwisudi, Dole, Kianga, Mwanakwerekwe, Pangawe and Melinne areas showed that most victims in underage marriages were students who were consequently forced out of school.

Statistically, underage marriages seem to be dropping due to increasing awareness and the chance for pregnant students now to go back to schools after giving birth.

 

Read more: http://allafrica.com/stories/201305220499.html

Police picks up everybody involved in forced marriage saga of 13-year-old girl

Officials of the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Police have ended the drama over the Ablekuma forced marriage.

The Police stormed the house and picked up everybody – the man in the centre of the controversial marriage, her 13-year-old wife and the runaway elder sister, their mother and father.   The 13-year-old school girl was forced to marry a 25-year-old man originally scheduled to marry her 18-year-old elder sister.

The older girl had refused to marry the man and run away on the day of the marriage.  In her place however, her 13-year-old sister was forced to marry the man at a matrimonial ceremony held at Ablekuma in Accra.

But in a dramatic turn of events…. click here to read more: http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201305/106475.php

STAY IN TOUCH
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER