close hide page

Archive for the ‘General’ Category

Female genital mutilation ‘being done in UK’

Female genital mutilation (FGM) has long been associated with communities in Africa such as Mali, Somalia and Sudan and some parts of the Middle East.But authorities in the UK say practitioners are being brought to Britain as part of Europe-wide cutting tours, largely driven by families who can no longer afford to send their daughters overseas for the procedure.

The UK lags behind its European neighbours in that so far, there has not been a single prosecution. Campaigners say this has led to Britain’s reputation as a safer place to do business by cutters.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23687058

Tanzania: NGO Steps Up Fight Against FGM, Early Marriages

Mara — CHILDREN’S Dignity Forum (CDF) is implementing an ambitious project aimed at saving schoolgirls from the menace of female genital mutilation (FGM), early marriages and HIV/AIDS in Mara Region. The project dubbed Strengthen Girls Network and Clubs in Response to Child Marriage, FGM and HIV Prevention Strategies is targeting public schools in Tarime, Rorya, Musoma rural and Musoma municipality.

Ms Fransisca Silayo, the project coordinator, made the revelation during a special function organized by the NGO to provide anti- FGM, early marriages and HIV/AIDS education to female pupils of Nyasho B Primary School in Musoma Municipality late last week. The schoolgirls hailed CDF for introducing the project and wanted the society to value them as it is the case with boys.

 

Read More: http://allafrica.com/stories/201308120355.html

U.N. pressures Indonesia to stop health workers performing FGM

LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Indonesia should stop allowing doctors, midwives and other health workers to carry out female genital mutilation (FGM) on children and babies as young as six months, the United Nations Human Rights Committee (OHCHR) has said. The committee also urged the country to pass legislation banning any form of FGM and to put in place penalties that reflect the “gravity of this offence”, which campaigners say is a serious human rights violation. OHCHR made its comments on Friday in observations on the state of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The “medicalisation” of FGM – a term used for when the practice is performed by health practitioners – has emerged as a trend in several countries and campaigners say it is setting back global efforts to eradicate the ancient ritual. It is also seen as one of the biggest risk factors as it is often seen as legitimising FGM.

But Indonesia says it is better medically trained people carry out the procedure to avoid parents resorting to traditional circumcisers who might endanger their daughters’ health. “Medicalised FGM is on the rise,” Efua Dorkenoo, advocacy director of Equality Now’s FGM programme told Thomson Reuters Foundation. This is not just the case in Indonesia, but also in Kenya, Nigeria and in countries where bodies representing health professionals fail to take strong action against it, she added.

In Indonesia’s case, medicalised FGM was allowed following a fatwa – a ruling by a religious authority – and this came after a ban on FGM was reversed on the grounds it had led to an increase in the practice by non-medical practitioners. Following the fatwa, the ministry of health issued a regulation in 2010 permitting medicalised FGM, which goes against a number of international resolutions and treaties such as the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), of which Indonesia is a signatory, according to Equality Now. “We tried all kinds of actions – not just [through] the government but … through international medical associations to bring pressure in terms of violations of various treaties that they have ratified on this [the medicalisation of FGM] – and they’ve not been successful,” Dorkenoo said.

Read more: http://www.trust.org/item/20130812154402-2himf/?source=gep

Spoon in underwear saving youths from forced marriage

LONDON, England — As Britain puts airport staff on alert to spot potential victims of forced marriage, one campaigning group says the trick of putting a spoon in their underwear has saved some youngsters from a forced union in their South Asian ancestral homelands. The concealed spoon sets off the metal detector at the airport in Britain and the teenagers can be taken away from their parents to be searched — a last chance to escape a largely hidden practice wrecking the lives of unknown thousands of British youths.

The British school summer holidays, now well under way, mark a peak in reports of young people — typically girls aged 15 and 16 — being taken abroad on “holiday”, for a marriage without consent, the government says. The bleep at airport security may be the last chance they get to escape a marriage to someone they have never met in a country they have never seen. The spoon trick is the brainchild of the Karma Nirvana charity, which supports victims and survivors of forced marriage and honour-based abuse. Based in Derby, central England, it fields 6,500 calls per year from around Britain but has almost reached that point so far in 2013 as awareness of the issue grows. When petrified youngsters ring, “if they don’t know exactly when it may happen or if it’s going to happen, we advise them to put a spoon in their underwear,” said Natasha Rattu, Karma Nirvana’s operations manager.

 

Read more: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jN5f87rQ3cCunR2zTsRDwd65cBFA?docId=CNG.c11be101825133d07578413f46b2d669.411

Human rights student reporter of the year on life after forced marriage

The winning entry in Amnesty International UK’s annual competition, in conjunction with the Observer and the NUS, is by Lauren Wilks of the University of Edinburgh

Parents, family, friends – I left everyone because he was after me and my daughter,” says Tehmina, explaining how she came to leave Pakistanin 2002 and claim asylum in the UK. “It was an arranged marriage, but when I married him he turned out to be another person. I was beaten and abused for 10 months.” After escaping, Tehmina was rejected by almost everyone in her family. While her father was sympathetic, he told her that she and her daughter no longer had a life in Pakistan. She received death threats from her brothers and the police ignored her cry for help, saying it was “her own matter”. “The situation in Pakistan is very difficult,” she says. “It’s impossible to live as a single woman or single mother … honour killings are everywhere.”

Within the UK, confronting the issue of forced marriage is not new. Campaigners have long called for greater attention to the issue; and in recent years policymakers have pushed aside claims of cultural difference and introduced a range of measures – aimed at both the UK and overseas – to work towards ending the practice. However, tougher laws and awareness campaigns, while important, fail to address the needs of those living in, or trying to escape from, a forced marriage. For women such as Tehmina, running away is not an end to the trauma. “It’s an uphill struggle; very often as bad as the forced marriage itself,” says Angela Voulgari of Saheliya, an Edinburgh-based organisation that supports black and minority ethnic women. Voulgari wants to see more intensive support to protect those trapped in and escaping from forced marriages. She says that fleeing a marriage can mark the beginning of another, more frightening chapter.

Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/11/human-rights-student-reporter-award

After arranged marriage, Indianapolis woman was raped repeatedly while kept at Southside apartment

The woman from India came to Indiana to visit family. Shortly after arriving, she discovered her mother had arranged a marriage for her, a not-uncommon practice in their culture.

But this marriage would turn into a violent and degrading four-month ordeal. She was raped by her husband and forced to do nearly round-the-clock household labor, police say. She was routinely referred to as “bitch” by her husband, uncle and aunt. She was slapped and choked. Her life was threatened. She barely ate and had to sleep on the floor without covers. But this week, the woman will get some measure of relief when her husband, Lakhvir Singh, 28, is sentenced in Marion Superior Court. “I want the maximum punishment and justice to be served,” the woman said in a statement to The Indianapolis Star. The Star does not generally identify victims of sexual abuse or assault. “I don’t want this to happen to any other girl. My voice can finally be heard.” A week ago, a jury found Singh guilty of criminal deviate conduct, domestic battery, rape, sexual battery and strangulation.

Singh was found not guilty of another charge: promotion of human trafficking. He also was acquitted on separate counts of rape, deviate sexual conduct and sexual battery. His sentencing is scheduled for Friday, and he faces six to 20 years in prison for the most serious charges. Singh’s lawyer, Jack Crawford, says the woman made up the allegations to get out of a marriage she didn’t like and to secure a visa for victims of human trafficking. “She was in a marriage where she did some things she didn’t want to do and tried to get out of it,” Crawford said. “The blame here lies with the parents for forcing them both into a marriage they did not want.” But the victim’s brother says she has the emotional and physical scars to prove the allegations. “She is finally getting her confidence back, but it will take a long time,” said her brother, who called police when he found out about the abuse. The Star is not naming the brother to help further protect her identity.

“She had to repeat the experience at the trial, so it will be some time before she is normal.”

Visiting from India

The brother was a graduate student at Purdue University when the woman came with their mother from India to visit him in May 2010. But shortly after arriving, her mother told her she had arranged a marriage with Singh, who then lived in New Castle, said Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Detective Jon Daggy. “That is something in the culture you don’t go against the mother’s wishes about,” Daggy said. The couple later moved to an apartment on Indianapolis’ Southside. No certificate of marriage was ever filed with the state of Indiana, according to a probable cause document filed with Marion Superior Court. A religious ceremony, however, occurred at a Sikh temple in Indianapolis. Cheryl Thomas, director of the women’s rights program at Advocates for Human Rights, a national nonprofit based in Minneapolis, said arranged marriages can be dangerous. “This is a problem in many countries where women are forced into marriages that they don’t want to be in,” she said. “They’re vulnerable, particularly if they don’t have any education or access to employment that can give them some independence.”

Read more: http://www.indystar.com/article/20130812/NEWS02/308120012/After-arranged-marriage-Indianapolis-woman-raped-repeatedly-while-kept-Southside-apartment?nclick_check=1

Keighley MP backs crackdown on forced marriages

Keighley MP Kris Hopkins is backing a crackdown on forced marriages. He is supporting a government campaign raising awareness of the practice, which figures show is more prevalent during the summer months. Last year the government’s Forced Marriage Unit dealt with 400 reported cases between June and August. It is feared many unsuspecting teenagers are taken abroad believing they are going on holiday, but instead are forced to marry. “We must do all we can to end this shameful abuse – very often of young girls being forced into relations with older men,” said Mr Hopkins.

 

Read more: http://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/news_keighley/10605332.Keighley_MP_backs_crackdown_on_forced_marriages/

Forced Marriages Warning Comes Too Late, Says Labour’s Chris Bryant

Wedding bells ring across the country in August, with couples keen to have their special day in the sunshine. But August is also the peak time for young teens in the UK to be forced into marriage, during the long summer school break, the government has warned. The Home Office campaign launch this weekend, after schools have broken up for the summer, has been criticised for being “too late” by Labour, who said the issue should have been raised in term time.

Summer marks a peak in reports of forced marriage cases, when youngsters can be taken on “holiday”, unaware of the real purpose of the trip. Between June and August last year, the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU), a joint operation by the Home Office and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, received more than 400 reports. Crime prevention minister Jeremy Browne said: “The rise in forced marriage reports over the school holidays is shocking. “Teenagers expecting their GCSE or A-level results should be embarking on a bright future, not condemned to a marriage with someone they have never met and do not want to marry. “This is a serious abuse of human rights and that is why we are legislating to make it illegal. “My message to young people who feel they are at risk is, please come forward – you do not have to suffer in silence, there is help available and it can be stopped.”

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/10/forced-marriage-_n_3735590.html?1376120942&utm_hp_ref=uk

Teachers and doctors warned in fight against forced marriage during summer peak

Teachers, doctors and airport staff have been warned to watch out for young people being taken abroad to undergo forced marriages over the school holiday period.

The Home Office said the summer marks a peak in reports of such cases, with youngsters being taken on “holiday” by their parents, unaware of the real purpose of the trip. Between June and August last year, the government’s Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) received more than 400 reports. The unit is handing out advice cards to provide help and information to potential victims, pointing them to confidential advice. The cards say: “You gave a right to choose who you marry, when you marry or if you marry at all.” A Home Office spokeswoman said the cards would be available in airports and other locations but would not be proactively handed to young people based on their ethnicity.

Aneeta Prem, the founder of campaign group Freedom Charity, said: “It’s vital that young people travelling abroad for a family wedding this summer realise it could be their own wedding they’ll be going to – and know who they should contact for help should they find themselves in danger.”

Read more: https://www.haloproject.org.uk/admin/components/blog/

STAY IN TOUCH
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER